Struvite crystals or stones occur in dogs due to a build up of minerals in the urinary tract. These crystals/stones are most often the result of frequent bladder infections or other infections of the urinary tract. Your dog's diet is a contributor to the formation of struvite stones, as foods that lower the urine's pH create the perfect environment for struvites to form. Dogs with this problem require a diet that creates a higher urinary pH level, and you can make that special dog food right in your own kitchen.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 1 lg. hard-boiled egg
- 2/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp chicken fat
- 1/2 tsp brewer's yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt substitute
- Airtight storage container
Gather your materials and ingredients and place them in your work area. Pre-measure ingredients so that all you have to do is empty them into the mixing bowl.
Peel the hard-boiled egg and discard the shell. Place the egg into the mixing bowl and smash it into small bits using a fork.
Add the remaining pre-measured ingredients to the mixing bowl (cottage cheese, brown rice, chicken fat, brewer's yeast and salt substitute).
Mix the ingredients with a spoon until thoroughly combined.
Feed your dog 1/2 to 1 cup of the food at each meal (smaller serving sizes for smaller dogs, larger servings for large dogs).
Pour remaining dog food into an airtight storage container and keep refrigerated until ready to use. Use remaining food within one week and make a new batch.
Tips and warnings
- Mix the food directly in the storage container to prevent having to wash an extra mixing bowl.
- Substitute 1/2 cup tuna or 113gr cooked chicken for cottage cheese in the recipe, and 2 to 3 cups cooked potato or macaroni for the rice.
- Add 1 cup steamed carrots or broccoli to the recipe for added nutritional value.
- Always consult your veterinarian before placing your dog on a homemade diet, as your veterinarian best understands your dog's nutritional needs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for