Many cats supplement their diet of cat food by hunting birds and rodents in the garden. But house cats that don't have access to the outdoors often lack this source of fresh, raw food. To keep cats healthy, especially if they are losing weight, many people choose to provide their pets with raw food or homemade cat food to help them gain weight.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1.4 kg (50 oz) raw poultry
- Frying pan
- 8 g (1/4 oz) parmesan cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- Wild salmon oil
- Vitamin E powder
- Vitamin B powder
- 3 ml (3/4 tsp) salt
- 115 g (4 oz) ground liver
- Sealable plastic containers
Test your cats to see whether they will eat fresh meat rather than dry cat food before you start cooking. Cut small pieces of chicken thigh and breast and leave them for your cats. If they won't eat the meat raw, try cooking it in a frying pan or coating it with Parmesan cheese. This will give you an idea of whether or not your cats are open to the possibility of homemade food.
Grind the meat for your cat food. Poultry is the easiest option, as it is a natural food for cats. Leave the bones in for calcium and the skin on for fat content. Leave any fat on the meat for additional nutrition. Mince the chicken to start, place it in a bowl and put it aside.
Cook two eggs lightly so that the yolks and whites are still runny. Add the eggs to the meat, with the water, salt, a pinch each of the vitamins and taurine, and the ground liver. Stir the mixture until the powders and oil are evenly distributed through the meat.
Feed your cat around 170 g (6 oz) of this food every day. Put the extra food in sealable plastic containers and freeze it -- remember that this is raw meat and will go bad if it is not frozen or refrigerated. This recipe will feed one cat for 10 to 14 days.
Tips and warnings
- High-quality, homemade cat food increases a cat's energy and vitality in addition to helping it gain weight.
- Many cats also enjoy occasional treats of human food like cheese, lunch meat and tuna.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for