Wheels on inline skates will eventually wear down and need to be replaced. Bauer skates are fairly typical of the inline variety, but they are primarily for inline hockey, according to the Bauer website. When replacing the wheels on these skates, you have to be sure to select the right type of replacement wheel based on how you'll be using the skates. There are wheels for indoor or outdoor use, and they differ in size, hardness and grip. It is also important to select wheels that will fit the particular skate chassis. Using the correct replacement wheels will help ensure the best performance.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Allen wrench or hex key
- Replacement wheels
- Bearing grease or oil
- Clean rag
Remove the old wheels from the skate chassis using an Allen wrench or a hex key. Remove the axles from the old wheels, then remove the bearings and the bearing spacers from the old wheels.
Wipe the bearing spacers and the axles with a clean rag. Remove dirt and debris from the bearings, then lubricate the bearings; wipe off any excess lubricant.
Install the bearing spacers and the bearings on the new wheels. If the bearings are nonsealed, make sure that the nonsealed side is facing inward.
Place the new wheels in the skate chassis. Be sure that the wheel logos all face the same way (in or out) so you can keep track of how they wear. Insert the axles into the wheels on both sides of the wheel. Tighten the axles, but be careful not to overtighten them. Inspect the wheels, making sure they spin freely but do not wobble in the chassis.
Tips and warnings
- Inline skate wheels will last longer if you rotate them as they wear down. One way you can do this is by switching the first and third wheels and the second and fourth wheels. You can also rotate the wheels from one skate to the other.
- Be careful to avoid water and uneven surfaces that can harm the wheels and bearings.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for