Dog barking is a nuisance to both the dog owner and surrounding neighbours. Technology-using devices that emit an ultrasonic sound are used to deter dogs from barking by retaliating with painful noise back at the dog every time he barks. Units may have tones audible to humans and dogs and other tones audible only to dogs. Using an ultrasonic device teaches dogs that there is a negative reinforcement for barking.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Find a location outside that points into your yard at the areas your dog most frequently barks within 50 feet of your dog's play area. Dogs tend to bark at people or animals walking by. In front of gates or near trees where animals may live are good locations for the device to point back at the dog when he starts barking.
Select the microphone sensitivity on the ultrasonic device. Some devices have more than one level to send noise back to the dog when barking reaches a certain decibel level.
Set the timer function if your device has one. Some devices allow you to select times such as when you are away at work or sleeping to control dog barking, leaving other hours up to you to correct and train your dog.
Install the device with the speakers pointing back at your dog. For example, if your dog is constantly running to the gate and barking at people walking by, setting the device behind a letter box or post pointing the speakers back to the gate is what you want. You want the noise to go to the dog, not your neighbours.
Leave the device on and let it do its job. This is an alternative to shock collars or other reprimands. Increase sensitivity if your dog is still barking with no reprimand or consequence.
Tips and warnings
- These devices are not for indoor use. The sounds can harm human ears, especially children's. Place it in a location where people will not potentially have hearing damage.
- These devices may not work with all dogs, according to the manufacturer's user's manual for Bark Smart Deluxe by SmartHome.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for