Ringworm (also known as tinea corporis) is a fungus that commonly affects humans and their pets. Ringworm is transmitted through direct skin-to-skin contact with another person or animal who has contracted ringworm. Ringworm can also occur as a result of coming into contact with objects that an infected person or animal has touched. Ringworm spores are characteristically red and elongated (in the shape of a worm, whence it gets the name) and can be killed by fungicide such as Monistat-Derm or prescription Lamisil (obtained from your medical provider) or at home with bleach applied topically. Killing ringworm spores is a simple process that does not require any special medical skills.
Gently wipe down the affected area with a wet, warm washcloth.
Pat the affected area dry with a clean unmoistened washcloth or towel.
Mix 1/2 tsp bleach with 3 tsp lukewarm water and stir.
Dab the bleach solution onto a clean, dry cotton ball.
Gently pat down the affected area with the cotton ball containing the bleach solution. Be sure that the solution is only applied to the ringworm spores, and try not to get bleach on any other part of the skin.
Use a tissue to wipe off any excess bleach from nonaffected areas.
Leave the area to dry in the open as much as possible. If feasible, do not bandage or cover the ringworm, as the contact with air will help the fungus dry out.
Apply the solution twice daily to the affected area. The ringworm spores should dry out and die within 72 hours after beginning treatment.
Observe the affected area to ensure that no allergic reaction has occurred as a result of the bleach. If an allergic reaction should occur, or if treatment does not cure your ringworm within 72 hours, stop using the bleach and ask your doctor for a topical cream for sensitive skin that does not contain bleach.
Tips and warnings
- Observe the affected area to ensure that no allergic reaction has occurred as a result of the bleach. If an allergic reaction should occur, or if treatment does not cure your ringworm within 72 hours, stop using the bleach and ask your doctor for a topical cream for sensitive skin that does not contain bleach.
Things you need
- Cotton balls
- Wet, warm washcloth
- Dry washcloth