There are several reasons to change to an American accent. The most noted reason is social pressure from people not being able to understand your original accent. Changing to another accent can be done at any age and by anyone with enough time and dedication. There are different theories on the direction you should take to change your accent, but linguists accept the same basic foundations for accent change.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Audio books
- Friends with American accent
- Speech language pathologist
Decide on which American accent you wish to have. The United States has several different regional accents or dialects, most of which have only subtle differences. Choose the American accent that you are most exposed to on a daily basis, or use the standard American accent.
Hire a speech language pathologist. He will be able to pinpoint the areas that you need to work on and the areas that you are doing well in. He can also help to set achievable goals and provide the necessary encouragement you will need.
Listen to audio books and television. Familiarise yourself with American television shows and audio books narrated by Americans so you can repeat the sentences along with the speaker. Repeating the same things several times will help you get used to the variations in vowels and consonants in the American accent. Do this several times each day.
Spend as much time around friends who have an American accent. Constant exposure is key to accent change and it helps to be around people who have the accent. They can also correct you when you pronounce words incorrectly.
Tips and warnings
- Take your time and don't be discouraged; accent change takes time and effort.
- Spend as much time around the American accent as possible in your everyday life.
- Do not associate with people who will discourage or make fun of your changing accent.
- If you have been speaking the English language for a long time, it may be more difficult to learn the American accent.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for