Painting is one of the least expensive home improvement projects when you do it yourself. The project is a rewarding one as you see an old dingy room transformed. However, one of the drawbacks to doing your own painting is dealing with the fumes. Overexposure to paint fumes can have serious side effects. It can cause headaches and irritate nasal passages, eyes and the throat. Although the paint fumes will eventually dissipate, a few techniques will speed up the process.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract
- Activated charcoal
- Wet rags
Add a few drops of vanilla extract or peppermint oil to the paint. While this will not completely remove the paint odour, it may work well enough for you to stand it.
Open the windows and air out the room. Use fans to help expedite the process of removing paint fumes from the room by directing them to the open windows.
Use crushed activated charcoal to deodorise the room during or after painting. Place the charcoal into a bucket and put it in the centre of the room. Add a couple of wet rags to the bucket and let it stand overnight. Regular barbecue charcoal will work if the activated carbon variety is not available.
Light some candles. Burning candles will burn off lingering paint fumes. It only takes about three to four hours depending on the size of the room. Place the candle in the centre of the room and as close to the floor as possible to avoid candle soot getting on the ceiling.
Place bowls of vinegar around the room. Vinegar is a natural deodoriser. It absorbs a variety of odours around the home.
Place two or three buckets of clean water around the room and leave overnight. Water will absorb the odours although not as efficiently as the other methods.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid oil-based paint whenever possible. Acrylic and latex paints on today's market offer the same sheen and finish as oil-based paint with easier clean up and lower cost.
- Purchase paints that are odour free. If you are extremely sensitive to paint fumes, the extra money is well spent.
- Wear a proper respirator.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for