A key component in a motorcycle is its fuel system. Unlike most newer models, older motorcycles rely on a carburettor to provide fuel and air to power the motor. Over time, these carburettors must be removed and cleaned to maintain a certain level of performance. While installing the carburettor back onto these old bikes is fairly straightforward, the fuel lines and hoses that connect the carburettor to the gas tank are often in dire need of replacement. For the aspiring DIY motorcycle mechanic, connecting the tank to the carburettor can be puzzling, but the task is easier than you'd think.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Caliper, measuring
- Plastic fuel hose
- hose clamps
Measure the outside diameter of the outlet spigot of your fuel tank's fuel valve with a measuring caliper. Select a length of plastic fuel hose to match the outlet spigot. Slide the fuel hose over the fuel valve's spigot and secure in place with a hose clamp.
Route the fuel hose to the carburettor and take a measurement of the length of hose needed. Include at least one inch of excess hose to accommodate for slack. Cut the end off the excess length of fuel hose with a sharp pair of scissors.
Slip a hose clamp over the new end of the fuel hose and slide the hose over the carburettor's fuel inlet. Lower the hose clamp over the hose and inlet and tighten securely.
Open the fuel valve and observe the fuel as it travels to the carburettor. Look for leaks at either end of the fuel hose, tightening the hose clamps to seal off any leaks.
Tips and warnings
- Adding an inline fuel filter can be accomplished by selecting a point near the fuel valve and severing the hose with a pair of scissors. Connect the inline fuel filter between the cut ends of the hose and secure with hose clamps.
- If your motorcycle uses multiple carburettors, select a central point to route the fuel hose to. Attach a Tee connector to the end of the hose and route individual fuel hoses from the Tee connector to the carburettors.
- If you do not feel confident that you can complete this task, have the work performed by a qualified motorcycle mechanic.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for