A little bit of fungus is OK for lawns because it is responsible for decomposing organic matter. Unfortunately, many fungi can release so many spores that the fungi overrun the lawn. Mushrooms are a type of fungus that do just that. There are some steps you can take to get rid of the fungus in your lawn, and keep it from coming back in the future.
Mow your lawn before you begin to treat the lawn for the fungus. The shorter the grass, the easier for the treatment to reach the soil.
Sprinkle horticultural grade cornmeal all across your lawn. This is an excellent way to get rid of the fungus in your lawn if you are opposed to using chemicals, because cornmeal contains fungicidal properties.
Pour one cup of milk for every nine cups of water into a sprayer. Spray your lawn with this milk/water mixture. This is called a milk bath, and it works to kill the fungus in your lawn. Repeat this once per day for a total of four days. Then repeat once per week for three weeks.
Use a fungicide spray on your lawn if you have seen no improvement after using the cornmeal, and after the milk bath. Make sure you follow the instructions on the package. Some fungicide sprays are concentrated and require you to add water.
Organic fungicides are available that you can use on your lawn. These products are non-toxic and safer to use if you have pets and small children that like to play outside.
Never eat the mushrooms in your lawn. Many of them are poisonous.
Tips and warnings
- Organic fungicides are available that you can use on your lawn. These products are non-toxic and safer to use if you have pets and small children that like to play outside.
- Never eat the mushrooms in your lawn. Many of them are poisonous.