How to get a copy of tax returns

Written by etch tabor
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

The Internal Revenue Service makes it easy for you to request copies of your tax returns. You can receive this information either via the phone or through mail. There is currently not an online means to receive this information. You may need to request a transcript of your tax return for a number of reasons. To receive certain services, you may have to present proof of your total income from the prior year. In certain legal proceedings, such as divorce, you may need to show proof of your annual earnings. In any case, requesting your tax return is easy.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Things you need

  • Phone
  • Envelope
  • Stamp

Show MoreHide


    Request Your Tax Return Via Phone

  1. 1

    Have all your personal information available, including your Social Security number. This will be used to verify that you are the proper recipient of the tax information.

  2. 2

    Call 1-800-829-1040. Speak with an IRS representative.

  3. 3

    Ask the representative for a copy of your tax return transcript.

  4. 4

    Wait up to two weeks for delivery.

    Request Tax Return via Mail

  1. 1

    Have your personal information, such as your Social Security number, organised.

  2. 2

    Download IRS Form 4056T from the website.

  3. 3

    Fill out the form.

  4. 4

    Mail or fax the form to the proper address stated on the second page of the form. Different states will have different mailing addresses.

Don't Miss


  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.