Mobile home ceilings vary in style and materials depending on the age and manufacturer of the home. Older mobile homes have sheets of ceiling material or wood panelling. Newer mobile homes have drywall or ceiling tiles suspended on a metal grid. Because the mobile home ceilings are varied so are the methods to repair them. The most common damage to a ceiling is caused by a water leak. The water leak can cause an unsightly stain or a sagging ceiling, making repairs necessary.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ceiling tile, board or panels
- Razor knife
- Self-adhesive mesh seam tape
- Joint compound
- Putty knife
- Sandpaper or sanding block
- Drywall primer
- Paint roller
Remove damaged suspended ceiling tiles by pushing the tile upward and rotating it slightly until you can pull it through the metal grid. Use a drill to unscrew the drywall or wood panels holding them in place.
Use 1/2-inch drywall (because it weighs less) to replace the damaged ceiling. Use a drill and screws to attach the drywall to the joists every 16 inches. Replace ceiling tiles by pushing it through the metal grid and rotating it into position to settle squarely on the grid. Use a drill to screw wood panels to the joists every 16 inches.
Use self-adhesive mesh seam tape you cut to size with a utility knife, to tape the seams of the sheetrock. Use a putty knife to cover the mesh seam tape with joint compound. Let it dry thoroughly and sand it lightly. Apply a second coat of joint compound and feather it a few inches past the width of the first coat. Let it dry thoroughly and sand lightly. Apply a third coat of joint compound, feathering it a few inches beyond the second coat. Let it dry thoroughly and sand lightly. Apply a coat of drywall primer with a paint roller according to the instruction on the container.
Match the texture of the existing drywall using spray texture or you can mix the texture in the paint. Let the texture dry completely then paint.
Tips and warnings
- Minor water damage that causes a slight sagging in the ceiling may be corrected by wetting the tile with a spray bottle and water and bracing the ceiling board back to its original position by screwing a board in place.
- Wear safety glasses when working on a ceiling to protect your eyes from falling debris. It is pointless to repair a ceiling unless you repair the water leak that caused the damage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for