Occasionally your cat may suffer from minor injuries to the paws. These injuries may be the result of anything from allergies to nail bed problems. If they become infected, they quickly become more serious -- and without treatment could become major injuries. Treatment of minor injuries may include a compress or a soak prepared with Epsom salts to draw infection from the wound.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Epsom salts
- Measuring spoon
- Clean, soft cloth
- Measuring cup
Measure 1/2 tsp Epsom salts and empty this into a dish.
Add 237 to 474 ml (1 to 2 cups) warm water to the dish. Stir until the salt dissolves into the water, creating a solution.
Soak the cloth in the solution. The cloth should be damp, not dripping wet, so wring it out if necessary.
Sit near a sink and hold the cat in your lap. Apply the warm compress to your cat's paw and hold it there for 10 minutes. Remember that your cat's injured paw is sensitive, so be gentle.
When you remove the compress from your cat's paw, rinse it thoroughly under running water in the sink. Apply more solution to the compress and reapply if needed.
Feline hot compress
Combine 118 ml (1/2 cup) Epsom salts with 4.5 litres (1 gallon) warm or room-temperature water in a bucket.
Place your cat's paw or paws into the bucket.
Soak the paws for five to 10 minutes, then remove. Remember, not all cats enjoy being subjected to liquids, so you may need a helper for this part.
Gently dry the cat's paws off. Repeat this procedure two to four times daily.
Feline Epsom salts soak
Tips and warnings
- Any infected injury on your cat's paw will likely be painful. Keep in mind that infected injuries may sting and cause the cat to act aggressively. It may be helpful to have the assistance of another person while you treat your cat's injury.
- Always seek veterinary assistance regarding any infected wounds your cat may have. Your veterinarian knows your cat best and will be able to advise you on the best possible treatment.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for