There are many different varieties of plum trees, and before you plant your plum trees from seed, you'll need to choose the right variety for you. Plum species in the Bullace or Damson categories are best for cooking, while the Gage category contains plums that are sweeter, eating or desert varieties. You'll also want to consider the pollination needs of the plum tree species, as some are self-pollinating (like the Blue Tit, Czar and Victoria), while others (like the Old English Greengage and Jefferson) pollinate with other plum tree species. The most important part of planting your plum tree from seed is finding the right location. Select a planting spot that is in full sunlight and far away from other trees and plants.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Plum tree seeds
- Bone meal or slow-release tree fertiliser
- Rototiller or pitchfork
- Organic compost
- Wooden stake
- Plastic ties, string or twine
- Plastic bag (optional)
- Sand and peat moss (optional)
Till the soil where you will plant your plum seed. Work into the soil three handfuls of bone meal or a dose of commercial slow-release tree fertiliser.
Plant your plum tree seed in October. Insert the seed into the soil about 2 inches deep.
Water your sprouting plum tree during dry periods. After the tree begins to grow, spread a 2-inch layer of organic compost around the tree, but not touching the trunk.
Insert a stake 6 inches from the main stem after the plum tree begins to grow. Tie the trunk to the stake at 12-inch intervals using plastic ties, string or twine.
Tips and warnings
- If you want to plant your plum tree seeds in the spring, you must stratify them (give them a cold treatment) first. Place the seeds in a plastic bag filled with a mixture of equal parts sand and peat moss. Keep the seeds at 0.556 to 5 degrees Celsius or in your refrigerator for 90 days prior to planting them outdoors.
- Avoid planting your plum tree seeds in a spot that is often waterlogged or an area where the soil dries out easily.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for