It can be inspiring and relaxing to work on your laptop outside in bright, sunny weather. But due to the ultraviolet light of the sun, which reflects off of laptop screens, it is difficult to see what's on the display screen when near a window or outdoors. There are a few things that you can do to improve your ability to view your laptop screen outside.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Anti-glare screen
Turn the brightness all the way up on the laptop. Press the "Fn" Key plus the arrow up or arrow right key on most laptops to turn up the brightness. On other brands, "Fn" plus the "F8" key might work. Look at your keys to find an icon that looks like a sun or light bulb.
Sit under a large umbrella, awning, or in the shade (underneath a tree is ideal) when outside to block the sun's rays.
Find a cardboard box that is about as wide as your laptop screen and turn it upside down. Cut out the square on the end side so that you can slide the box onto your screen from the back. Trim it down as needed so that it sits on your laptop comfortably while you work. This will help block out the light.
Try an antiglare screen (also called a monitor filter). These filters are not 100% effective in eliminating the glare from sunlight but they do help reduce the reflection of light off of the screen. Adhere the sheet directly to your screen.
Face the sun when you're working so that the rays aren't hitting your screen directly.
Put on a pair of sunglasses with UV protection while you work on your laptop outside.
Tips and warnings
- If you are in the market for a new laptop, purchase one that has an antiglare screen built in. These tend to be more effective than the screen protector sheets and covers that can be purchased separately.
- Do not use a laptop outside in rain snow, or extremely hot and humid weather. The moisture in the air and heat can damage the keyboard and motherboard.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for