As the summer months arrive, the weather becomes perfect for outdoor activities in barely there shorts and lounging about the beach in revealing swimsuits. Looking beach-ready can be quick and easy with a Brazilian bikini wax. Getting rid of what's "south of the border" has become one of the most popular ways to be rid of unwanted hair.
Doing anything unknown can cause worry, but many women -- and some men -- get waxed regularly. Make sure you prepare your bikini area before you go into the salon, let the waxing specialist know it's your first time, relax for a few minutes in the waxing room and then afterwards give yourself some time before jumping into the water.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Find out more about Brazilian bikini waxing. Brazilian bikini waxing became popular in the United States in the late 1980s, but misconceptions still abound about the procedure. Waxing lasts longer than shaving and leaves the skin smoother, too. Brazilian bikini waxing can be performed with hard or soft wax and with peeling strips or without. A Brazilian bikini wax can mean going entirely hairless around the pubic region, known as a "full" Brazilian, although a small strip of hair such as a "landing strip" can remain. A bikini wax refers to removing the hair around the bikini line while a Brazilian refers to, in general, anything that goes deeper than the bikini line. In terms of how much time you should set aside for your appointment, the waxing can take as few as fifteen minutes, but for your first time, be prepared for up to half an hour.
Take time to lightly prepare before arriving for your waxing treatment in a salon or spa. Before your appointment, the number one thing to do is make sure your hair isn't too long. Waxing specialists recommend that the hair is no longer than a quarter of an inch long in order for the waxing to work best. Second on your list of things to do before your appointment is to lightly exfoliate the area to be waxed before your arrival. Just as important for your comfort will be to make sure to wear loosefitting clothes or a skirt to make undressing and redressing easier and to ensure that the clothes do not chafe the freshly waxed area.
Talk openly with your waxing specialist. Feel free to let her know that it's your first time. If you want to know exactly when the hair will be removed, usually with cloth or plastic strips, ask the specialist to tell you when she is about to remove it. Another step the waxing specialist should take is to ask you if the wax temperature is comfortable for your skin.
Relax during the waxing. Lie back on the table and try to remain motionless. If you clench or make any sudden movements during the waxing procedure, the specialist will just have to redo the area she is waxing, taking longer and possibly making the skin more susceptible to redness. It's not unheard of for people to chew gum or bring in a cell phone to text -- on silent, of course -- during the procedure. Whatever you need to do that will help you to relax is very helpful during waxing procedures.
Maintain an at-home treatment after your waxing. After your Brazilian bikini wax, a good way to prevent ingrown hairs and stubble is by using a light exfoliant when you shower. Your Brazilian bikini wax should last 3 to 4 weeks.
Tips and warnings
- Don't worry about redness. Redness may occur within a day or two after the waxing service.
- Don't go swimming in chlorine or salt water immediately afterward.
- Don't have a Brazilian bikini wax performed while you are menstruating or in the days before or right after your period as your body is more sensitive to pain during these times.
- Stay away from tanning beds or the sun for at least a day or two after receiving a Brazilian bikini wax.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- "XPress Magazine"; The Brazilian Wax - A Painful and Popular Trend; sselfridge; Fall 2010
- "My Jet Set Life": The Brazilian Wax Exposed; Kimberly Murgatroyd; June 2009
- Beauty Republica Salon: Information about Brazilian Waxing at our Brighton Beauty Salon
- Brazilian Secrets: Brazilian Wax - The Basics