Photinia shrubs are an attractive evergreen with showy flowers and bright-red fruit. This multi-trunked small tree is often trimmed into a hedge and trained as a shrub. Photinia is used in containers or planters, and can grow successfully in urban areas where the growing conditions are not ideal. They tolerate air pollution, poor drainage, compacted soil and drought. Photinias grow very quickly when young, but growth slows down when they are older. The best condition for a photinia shrub is well-draining soil and full sunlight.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Photinia shrub in a container
Remove weeds and grass from the top of the soil in the area where the photinia is going to be planted. Dig a hole in a sunny location that is three times as wide as the photinia shrub and two times as deep.
Tip the pot over and gently remove the photinia shrub from its container. Set the photinia off to the side. Fill the plant pot with sand. Pour it on top of the soil removed from the hole and mix together. This will improve the soil drainage around the photinia.
Rough the edges of the hole up with the edge of the shovel. This will help the roots find holds when they start to expand.
Place enough of the soil back in the hole so the photinia will be at ground level when planted. Center the photinia in the hole.
Fill in around the photinia with soil so the hole is halfway full. Fill the hole with water.
Add more soil until the hole is full. Make sure the photinia is straight and gently firm the soil down around the shrub. Flood the area with water to finish settling the soil.
Tips and warnings
- Photinia flowers bloom at the ends of new growth. These showy white flower clusters appear in the summer. Do not prune until after the blossoming is finished.
- When photinia is grown it the shade or when the leaves stay wet, the shrub can become infected with leaf spot fungus. This is a serious problem for the photinia and leads to discoloured leaves.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for