Cutting felt flowers is a challenging task. Using scissors can be tedious, and using a regular shape puncher leaves you with a fuzzy and jagged edges. Die cutting is one of the easier ways to cut felt flowers, and it is less expensive than some of the electric die cutting machines. To cut a flower out of felt, all you need is a die cutting machine and flower-shaped dies to make impressive felt flowers.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Die cutting machine
- Thick dies for fabric, flower-shaped
Trim a piece of felt until it is a little bigger than the die you are using, leaving about 1 inch on each side of the shape. Lay the felt and paper on the die cutting machine.
Place the die stamp on top of the felt, with the pattern facing down. Slide the felt, paper, and die underneath the stamping mechanism so that the die is centred underneath.
Pull the lever downward one or two times to ensure that the stamp has gone completely through the paper and fabric. If you are using a lever die, in which a lever is used to guide the die and felt through the machine, crank the lever until the felt rolls out the other side of the machine. Lift the die off first, then remove the paper and punch out the felt flower.
Slide the felt between two pieces of thin paper that are the same size as the felt. This will help the edges to come out neater, and it will prevent the felt from sticking to other bits of felt or paper that are on the machine or the dies.
Layer the flowers and add a button in the centre to further decorate the flower.
Cutting Felt Flowers
Tips and warnings
- Slide the felt between two pieces of thin paper that are the same size as the felt. This will help the edges to come out neater, and it will prevent the felt from sticking to other bits of felt or paper that are on the machine or the dies.
- Check the labels of the dies you are using to make sure they can be used on fabric. If you use the wrong die, you could damage the machine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for