Marble is used for its decorative appeal in various interior applications, including marble staircases. Homeowners often choose marble to add elegance and style to the room the article of marble resides in. Although natural marble is full of vein patterns and colours, it is relatively fragile and soft compared to other natural stones. Marble is susceptible to chipping because of heavy use or by sudden impacts. You can easily repair a chipped marble step at home with simple tools.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Matching marble dust
- Masking tape
- Hand-held vacuum
- Clean cloth
- Hair dryer
- Small bowl
- Polyester resin
- Putty knife
- Clean syringe
- 400- to 600-grit sandpaper
- Marble repair kit
Place one piece of masking tape on the top, bottom and both sides of the chip area, creating a squared-off section surrounding the chip.
Suck away any loose bits of marble within the chipped area, using a hand-held vacuum. Dampen a clean cloth with alcohol, and rub the chipped area until thoroughly cleaned and free of dirt and dust. Dry the chipped marble with a hair dryer.
Place the matching marble dust into a small bowl and mix with polyester resin, using a putty knife. Continue to mix the two products together in the bowl until you have reached a paste-like consistency.
Draw the paste into a clean syringe. Hold the syringe over the marble chip and inject the paste into the chipped section. Allow the paste to dry overnight. Do not worry about smoothing the surface of the paste at this point.
Sand the hardened paste smooth and level with the surrounding marble, using 400- to 600-grit sandpaper. Use small, circular motions when sanding the chipped area.
Polish the surface of the marble step with a chamois. Continue to rub the chamois over the marble step until you achieve the desired shine.
Tips and warnings
- Many marble repair kits include matching marble dust.
- If you use a marble repair kit that includes a curing light, use it to cure the included filling material before it dries and the sanding process begins.
- Always read manufacturer instructions included with any marble repair kit. Instructions can vary greatly by brand.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for