Chair legs can leave dark marks on kitchen tiles, even if the chairs are gently moved. These marks are unattractive and much more difficult to remove than dirt. Preventing these marks will save you a lot of cleaning time. Wood or metal chair legs can also scratch some types of tile floors, leaving permanent damage to the tiles. You can prevent this by covering the tile, but that requires purchasing carpet or pads that must also be cleaned regularly. This is best if you have chairs with casters, but for standard, non-rolling kitchen chairs, a more simple, inexpensive solution prevents both marks and scratches on your tile.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Liquid dish soap
- Self-adhesive furniture leg felt pads
Prepare the chair's feet for felt pads. Place a blanket or dust sheet on the floor and turn each chair over so the feet are exposed.
Dip a sponge in hot water. Pour a drop of dish soap on the sponge and wash dirt off the chair's feet. The adhesive backing of the pads will not stick as well if the feet are not clean.
Dry off the chair feet with a towel. Remove the felt pads from their packaging.
Remove the protective cover from the adhesive backing. Press the felt pad firmly to the chair foot to create a good bond. Do the same with all the chair feet.
Place all chairs back on their feet. Give the glue time to cure before moving the chairs. If the felt does not seem to be sticking well, fortify the adhesive with a stronger glue.
Tips and warnings
- Keep kitchen tile swept clean. Even with protective foot pads, chairs may leave marks if pulled over a dirty floor.
- An alternative to felt is rubber or vinyl caps. These must fit properly on the feet and must be made from nonmarking materials for best results.
- Self-adhesive felt pads are also called furniture gliders. Most are precut to fit standard chair legs; some you can cut yourself.
- Look for the felt pads online or at hardware stores, home improvement stores and the home section of large department stores. The protective pads are popular items and are usually easy to find and inexpensive.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for