How to Use Camping Stoves Indoors

Written by larry parr
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Email

There is considerable concern about using camping stoves indoors. The main worry is a build-up of carbon monoxide. Every year there are reports of people suffering severe injury or even death from using camping stove indoors. According to the Centers for Disease Control, each year 10 to 17 deaths are attributed to camping stoves and lanterns used to heat or light unventilated, confined spaces. However, normal kitchen stoves use propane or natural gas without problems, so it is possible to use your camping stove indoors provided certain precautions are taken. Ventilation is the biggest concern, followed by the fact that camp stoves have no automatic shut-off if the flame should go out, potentially allowing a deadly build-up of gas in your house.

Skill level:
Moderately Easy

Other People Are Reading

Things you need

  • Ventilation system
  • CO2 (carbon dioxide) monitor
  • CO (carbon monoxide) monitor

Show MoreHide


  1. 1

    Tighten all connectors so there are no leaks between your propane source and your camp stove. Propane leaks can cause problems: creation of a gas deadly to breathe, or a fire or even a propane-tank explosion.

  2. 2

    Use your stove in a ventilated area such as a kitchen with a range vent or a ceiling vent. If no vent is available, crack a window near your camp stove to allow a flow of fresh air. This is also true inside a tent; ventilation must be provided to outside air.

  3. 3

    Do not allow your camp stove to run unattended. If the flame should go out, the gas will continue spewing from the stove, filling your home. This could result in a deadly build-up of gas, a fire or an explosion.

  4. 4

    Install a CO2 (carbon dioxide) monitor, which will alert you should there be a build-up of CO2 caused by the indoor use of your camp stove. Also install a CO (carbon monoxide) monitor to warn of a build-up of that deadly gas.

Tips and warnings

  • Always make certain there is a source of ventilation whenever using a camping stove indoors.
  • Carbon monoxide (CO) is every bit as dangerous as carbon dioxide (CO2), and both need to be monitored.
  • The Coleman company does not recommend using a camping stove indoors due to the possible build-up of carbon monoxide gas.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.