The wiper blades on your Toyota Rav4 should be changed once or twice a year, depending on where you live. The blades, made of rubber and exposed to heat and cold, can quickly deteriorate and compromise proper clearing of your windshield. Most people don't consider replacing their windshield wipers until they're not performing well, and this can create visibility hazards when driving. Here's how to replace your blades.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 20-inch wiper blade, driver side (1996-2000)
- 18-inch wiper blade, passenger side (1996-2000)
- 22-inch wiper blade, driver side (2001-2005)
- 19-inch wiper blade, passenger side (2001-2005)
- 24-inch wiper blade, driver side (2006-2008)
- 17-inch wiper blade, passenger side (2006-2008)
- Flathead screwdriver
Lift the passenger-side wiper arm. Note the right-side wiper arm is a few inches shorter than the driver-side arm on the Rav4. Different model years take slightly different lengths in replacement blades, but the passenger side is always a few inches shorter.
Locate the locking tab of the old wiper blade.
Press the tab upward while holding the arm steady. Gently but firmly pull downward on the blade while the tab is unlocked. The wiper blade might give some resistance, but it will come off. A flathead screwdriver could be used for added pressure, if necessary.
Remove the old blade. Be careful not to let the wiper arm swing toward the windshield without a blade. You could damage the windshield or the wiper arm.
Position the centre lock of the new blade (17-inch, 18-inch or 19-inch, depending on the model year) into the hooked end of the wiper arm and lift up until it clicks, locking it into place.
Repeat the procedure on the driver side using a 20-inch, 22-inch or 24-inch replacement blade, depending on the model year.
Replace the rear wiper blade of the Rav4 using the same procedure. Many aftermarket blade companies do not carry a 12-inch replacement blade needed for the 2006-2008 model-year Rav4s. This is often a dealer-only item. The earlier Rav4s use a 14-inch rear replacement blade that can be found in any auto parts store.
Tips and warnings
- Wiper blades should be replaced in pairs.
- They should be inspected every six months for signs of dry cracking or deterioration and replaced at least once a year for optimum performance.
- Although somewhat expensive, the newer contour blades made by Anco or Rain-X work best for the curved contour of the windshield on the Rav4.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for