Just about anyone with pets recognises the necessity of some kind of flea control. For pets that venture both indoors and out, most people find that flea medications like Advantage are strong enough to stop home infestations. Advantage, however, can be expensive, and has not always been available to pet owners without a prescription. Therefore, a little comparative shopping is almost always in order when looking for this flea medication. By taking into a account a little more than just the advertised price, it is possible to protect your home and pets while also saving money.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Figure out how much Advantage you will need by taking into account the weights of the pet or pets you want to medicate. Checking with your vet and carefully reading the directions on the box is the best way to make sure of this amount. Advantage is a powerful chemical, so dosage needs to be very exact. For example, dogs over 22.7 Kilogram require almost two-and-a-half times the amount of flea control medication that a cat does. Decide how much Advantage each pet needs individually, and then add these numbers together if necessary.
Decide which type of Advantage will be best for you and your pets by considering how many and what kind of pets you have. There is Advantage designed for dogs and cats specifically, but it is also possible to find medication safe for both cats and dogs. If you have only dogs or only cats, you need not buy the multi-pet formula. But if you have an assortment of feline and canine friends, multi-pet Advantage can save you money in the long run.
Locate bulk deals and pricing by comparing a number of different company's products. You could find that ordering pet medications online can get you a good deal, because you are ordering directly from a supplier rather than through your vet. Also, while local pet stores and vets rarely sell bulk packs, these specials are easier to find online. Buying in bulk, especially when you have large or multiple pets, is the best way to save money on flea medication.
Make sure the advertised price you found is the correct type and dosage that you need. While there may be a special on Advantage for large dogs, a cat owner may find higher prices on what they need. Consider also how long each dose will last each pet; some dosages are meant to last for up to three months, while others need to be reapplied every 30 days.
Consider shipping prices before ordering what appears to the cheapest option. Some places that advertise free shipping have a catch, such as when deals apply only to orders of a certain size or on certain items. Find out the total price for exactly what you need.
Double-check local stores for Advantage deals before ordering the cheapest price you found on the Internet. While generally this will be your best deal, no comparative shopper limits herself to one medium. You should first call your vet, as other vets may require an exam to dispense flea medication; pet supply stores and farming co-ops are also good places to check. Only when you have checked around town, just to make sure, should you buy Advantage online.
Tips and warnings
- Advantage, while effective, is not the only form of flea medication. Some protect only against fleas while others repel a whole range of pests including ticks and worms. Depending on your pet's lifestyle, another kind of pet medication might be better. Always check all options before limiting yourself to one brand name.
- Though it may be tempting to buy larger doses than necessary and measure them out yourself, this can be a very risky decision. Unless you have the ability to measure to the tenth of a millilitre, it is very doubtful that your dosage will be anywhere close to exact. When dealing with small animals like cats, too large a dose can potentially be fatal.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for