Discus fish are small, bright, tropical fish that are native to the Amazon rain forest. They are naturally carnivorous, but are excellent fish to keep in an aquarium. Discus fish can be very picky eaters, and require more than simple flake fish food. Knowing how often to feed and what to feed discus fish is essential to keeping them healthy, happy and colourful.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Blood worms
- Brine shrimp
Ask what the recent diet of the discus fish has been at the time of purchase. Most discus fish are picky, and if there is a food that they are already accustomed to, you can continue feeding them this food.
Feed young discus fish, around 5 cm in length, four to five times daily. Older fish, around 10 centimetres, can be fed just twice daily. Growing fish need more nutrients, and will take in less food during each feeding.
Add live or frozen food to the diet of the discus fish. They are carnivorous, and need the protein to stay healthy. Try blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, both frozen and live, and continue feeding them the one they prefer.
Feed the discus fish a small amount of food, and allow them to eat for two hours. Discus fish eat ravenously at first, but will nibble for a while afterward. Once this time has passed, siphon away all excess food.
Reduce the amount of feeding two to three days weekly. If normally feeding the discus four times per day, reduce to two times per day two to three days per week. In the wild, discus fish sometimes live in areas where food is in short supply. Every two weeks, do not feed the discus fish for one full day, and then resume normal feeding the next day.
Tips and warnings
- Discus fish are particularly fond of pellet foods. There is a large variety available made especially for discus fish, which enhance colour and will help them stay healthy.
- Microscopic parasitic eggs can survive being frozen or prepared in live food. If feeding your discus fish live or frozen food, perform a wormicide treatment every two months.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for