A toenail fungal infection reduces affected toenails to dry, soft, flaking powder. If your nails are crumbling due to powdery fungus, you've probably tried most conventional fungal removal techniques, including acid-containing, anti-fungal medications. You can try eradicating your powdery fungus using a natural, homeopathic remedy. Several homeopathic remedies for powdery foot fungus exist, but a sea salt and essential oil soak is both gentle and inexpensive. While you're waiting for your foot fungus to recede, remember to wear open-toed shoes or shoes constructed from breathable materials.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Tub, large enough for a foot soak
- Hot water
- Sea salt, 270 g (1 cup)
- Hydrogen peroxide, 237 ml (1 cup)
- Essential tea tree oil
Fill your soaking bath with hot or warm water, leaving enough room for the extra mass of your feet.
Add sea salt and peroxide to your water-filled bath, as well as 6 to 8 drops of tea tree oil.
Place your feet in your sea salt mixture. Soak your feet for 30 minutes.
Remove your feet, and dry them with a towel. Wash the towel before reusing.
Drip some tea tree oil onto your toes and massage it into your toes.
Dry off excess oil and water with another towel; fungus loves dampness, so you want to keep your feet dry when not washing or soaking them. Wash this towel before reusing, too.
Repeat this process daily until symptoms of your foot fungus are gone.
Tips and warnings
- According to the University of Kiel, Germany, a study by their dermatology department found that Dead Sea salt baths improved the participants' skin barrier functionality. Dead Sea salt, like all sea salt, contains a lot of magnesium which according to the study helps to "bind water, influence epidermal proliferation and differentiation, and enhance permeability barrier repair." Epsom salts have even more magnesium than sea salts, which is why they are more often recommended for anti-fungal foot baths. This doesn't mean that sea salts can't achieve the same ends as Epsom salts, but that they may not achieve them as quickly or effectively.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- DHerbs Experience Healing: Toe nail fungal infection
- The National Center for Biotechnology Information: Bathing in a magnesium-rich Dead Sea salt solution ...
- Nail Fungus Treatments: Toe nail fungus symptoms
- Springer Link: Sodium chloride tolerance in strains of Epidermophyton floccosum and Epidermophyton stockdaleae