A career as a wedding cake designer can be ideal for those with a flair for both baking and art. Whether working within a large company, or out of a small, home-based operation, wedding cake designers must collaborate with their customers to create the perfect, edible piece of art for the big occasion. Yet before a cake decorator can begin to capitalise from their delectable artwork, at least some form of training is in order. Get started on the path to cake design greatness.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Culinary school or cake decorating classes
- Apprenticeship or job in a bakery
- Cake decorating supplies
Find and attend cake decorating classes near you where you can learn the basics of the craft, as well as more detailed techniques. Companies such as Wilton offer these types of courses at arts and crafts retailers throughout the U.S. and Canada. (See the Resources section for a link to the company's website).
Enrol in culinary school to learn the ins and outs of pastry making and cake decorating, and earn the top qualifications to land you a job after graduation.
Apply for work either in a bakery or cake design shop, where you can work under the supervision of an experienced designer, and learn important tricks of the trade.
Consider starting your own cake design business out of your home or office, and make sure to promote your services via advertisements in the local newspaper, business cards with your name and contact information, and by launching a business website.
Practice your trade as much as possible to hone your skills and become a top wedding cake designer.
Tips and warnings
- Try asking around to find out who decorated the wedding cakes of friends and relatives in your area, then contact that cake designer and inquire about affordable one-on-one decorating lessons.
- Don't be afraid to try new things while working on your cake designs. Your growing expertise and creative flair will set you apart from the competition.
- Head to the bookstore or library and find books on cake decorating to get new ideas and an extra dose of inspiration.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for