A bird bath will provide endless hours of joy for the birds and also for all who observe the birds who frolic in the water. A bird bath is a crucial element in any yard where one is hoping to attract birds to build their nests and set up residence.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Tall wood stake
- Large clay pot
- Drill and drill bit
- Hammer and nail with wide head
Find a tall wood stake at a garden store to use as the pole for the bird bath. Ensure the stake or branch is tall enough to use as the pole for the bird bath. You will want the bird bath at least 3 to 4 feet off the ground to help keep predators from the ground off the bird bath.
Hammer the stake or branch down into the ground deep enough so that it sits firmly in the earth. You may also wish to secure the stake or branch more firmly into the earth by adding a bit of cement around the pole.
Purchase a large clay pot to serve as the bathing area of the bird bath. Drill a small hole in the bottom of the shallow bottom dish, and also the main pot of the clay dish.
Use a long nail with a wide head to nail the clay pot and saucer bottom on to the top of the wood stake that will serve as the pole for the bird bath. Ensure that the nail head is wide enough to fully cover the whole drilled in the pot. Seal the area around the nail with putty or other sealant to ensure the bird bath will be firmly sealed and will hold water.
Add water to the bird bath. You may also wish to add a rose bush, or other dense bush or tree to the area near the bird bath. This will give birds a safe place to escape to if they notice a predator such as a cat in the area.
Tips and warnings
- Place the bird bath outside in the early spring so birds have time to find it before they decide where to build their nest.
- Find inexpensive clay pots at thrift stores or flea markets to create a bird bath at low cost.
- Keep the bird bath clean and filled with water at all times.
- Birds will come to rely on this water source, so ensure it is available to them when they need it.
- Keep children away from the bird bath for safety reasons.