These are definitely more eco-friendly times -- and it's evident any time we go shopping -- especially for household cleaning supplies. There are "green" products everywhere you turn these days. And fortunately, eco-friendly normally goes hand in hand with pet friendly -- which is great news if there are pets in the house. Here are some suggestions for effective cleaning products you can purchase that are also safe for pets.
- Skill level:
Apply natural enzyme stain and odor removers such as Nature's Miracle or Folex if your pet has an accident consisting of urine, vomit or feces. Nature's Miracle is the original liquid enzyme cleaner that saturates the area and permanently lifts up odors and stains. It also comes in a spray. Folex is an effective carpet spot remover spray. It is non-ionic, which means it doesn't draw back dust or dirt.
Use eco-friendly, naturally derived cleaners. Mrs. Meyer's, for instance, is aromatherapeutic and made with essential oils and J.R. Watkins is plant-based. Both offer several products including an all-purpose cleaner, glass cleaner and bathroom cleaner. Method is a popular line that is derived from corn and coconut oil and offers a large assortment of cleaners for every room in the house. Seventh Generation has a complete line of green cleaning products, including their "Free & Clear" line that contains no dyes or fragrances. Ecover offers a line of cleaning products that are produced in a special ecological factory. Planet makes an effective all-purpose cleaner that is hypoallergenic and Begley's Best, created by actor/environmentalist Ed Begley Jr., is a great all-purpose cleaner made from ingredients such as pine and citrus that is designed to replace all other household cleaners.
Bon ami has been around forever (well, since the 1800s...just about forever) and is still the same earth-friendly product it was since the beginning. It's a gentle, non-abrasive scrubbing powder that is chlorine-free and can be used instead of Ajax or Comet.
If you have hardwood floors, Bona is a great product that is GREENGUARD certified for indoor air quality. It is effective at containing dust and has no toxic fumes.
Tips and warnings
- All of the above-mentioned products are non-toxic, biodegradable and never tested on animals.
- Traditional cleaners can cause respiratory irritations due to the fumes they emit, whereas natural, chemical-free cleaners do not.
- Most of these products can be found at supermarkets including Whole Foods, drug stores and large retailers such as Target and Bed Bath & Beyond. Nature's Miracle is available at most pet supply stores. All are available online.
- Still be sure to exercise caution when using these products; just because something is natural and non-toxic doesn't necessarily mean it's safe for your pet to ingest.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for