Puppies can be introduced to solid food when they are 2 weeks old. But commercial canned food for puppies is usually full of water and preservatives. Puppies are not fussy eaters, and will eat anything--whether or not it's good for them. You can make your own to ensure that your puppy's first meals are full of nutrition. You can also continue making homemade foods to add to a kibble recommended by your vet.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Rice or pearl barley
- Puppy replacement milk
- Food processor or blender
Remove most of the skin from a lean boneless chicken (preferably organic). You need 1 part chicken to 3 parts rice or barley for the recipe. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove. Boil the chicken until it is cooked thoroughly.
Chop a large carrot and add it to the chicken when it is about halfway through. It's OK to overcook the carrot.
Boil the rice. While it is cooking, strain the chicken and carrot. Leave them in the colander so they cool.
Place the chicken, carrot and rice in a blender or food processor. Make the mixture as smooth as you can. Add milk replacer as needed, 1/4 at a time, to attain a baby-food-like consistency. (As your puppies get older, you can make this chunkier.)
Serve the food to your puppies when it is lukewarm or cool. (Expect the puppies to make a mess and step in the food.) Refrigerate the leftovers.
Tips and warnings
- Puppies need to nurse until they are 7 or 8 weeks old to get the antibodies they need from their mother's milk. When they reach 2 months old, you can introduce a high-grade puppy kibble into the homemade wet food.
- Ask your vet if your puppies will need any nutritional supplements based on their particular breed.
- Puppies need to be fed three times a day until they are 6 months old; you can then switch to twice a day.
- Never feed your puppies a raw-food diet, since it will be too rich for them.
- Never feed puppies chocolate, raisins, grapes, onions or avocados. These can all make a puppy very sick.
- Making your own puppy kibble is not recommended.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for