Commercial dog food has seen a lot of controversy as of late. Rather than giving your dog inferior products that do not help, and in some cases may escalate a problem with arthritis, consider making homemade dog food that can boost his immune system and help to alleviate much of the pain associated with arthritis. The ingredients in these two recipes are specifically designed for helping your dog maintain optimal health.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- 0.454kg. white turkey meat
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1/4 cup celery
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tsp alpha powder
- Pinch parsley
- Flax seed oil capsule
- Warm water
- 1 cup extra lean minced meat
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 tbsp unsalted beef broth
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables, frozen
Cook the turkey breast in a slow cooker on low heat for about six to eight hours. Remove the turkey and let it cool to room temperature.
Use a juicing machine to juice the raw vegetables, along with the alpha powder until well blended. Use 1/2 cup of juice per meal and store the rest in an airtight container in the fridge. This will stay fresh for about five to seven days.
Slice the turkey into chunks according to the size of your dog. Use a milk bone biscuit as a guide on how big to make the chunks by cutting them to as big as 1/3 of a biscuit. Place the turkey into a large mixing bowl.
Combine the juice with the turkey and mix well. Add in the cottage cheese. Soften the oats by lightly steaming them for about five minutes, and then mix them in with the turkey mixture.
Break open the flax seed oil capsule and pour the contents in with the other ingredients.
Add just enough warm water to make the ingredients firm (like a casserole), but not soupy. Dust the food with parsley on top and serve.
Semi-Raw Food Recipe
Boil the minced meat until no longer pink. Drain it and pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess fat. Chop the beef up into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
Boil the frozen vegetables until tender. Drain the vegetables and combine with the beef.
Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Use an instant brand to make the process go much quicker. The nutritional value is still the same. When done, add the rice to the minced meat mixture.
Warm the beef broth slightly. Do not let it come to a boil. Pour the broth in with the minced meat mixture and blend all of the ingredients.
Break open a flax seed oil capsule and add the contents to the mixture. Stir well and serve.
Cooked All-Natural Recipe
Tips and warnings
- A semi-raw food diet can be especially helpful to dogs with arthritis. Raw foods in general contain large amounts of vitamins, minerals and living enzymes that build a strong immune system, and can help with managing arthritis.
- Flax seed oil helps to reduce inflammation in dogs and humans with arthritis.
- Give your dog a variety by using different vegetables when making these recipes.
- An all-natural dog food can also help keep your dog lean and fit, as well as help with arthritic problems.
- Make the broth you use is unsalted.
- Avoid using raw meat in dog recipes, as it can contain harmful bacteria.
- Avoid garlic, onions, and raw eggs, and salt when making homemade dog foods.