Home remedies for dry skin on dogs are best employed in winter. When exposure to dry indoor heat is at its greatest, dogs exhibit the same symptoms associated with dry skin as humans, such as dandruff and itchy skin. That is why it is important to limit the frequency of baths. Bathing has a drying effect because it strips natural oils. However, home remedies are not recommended for symptoms that manifest in summer as they may signal allergies, parasites or fungal infections.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dog shampoo
- Dog conditioner
Bathe your canine with dog shampoo. Animals have a different PH level than humans, so choose a cleanser formulated for dogs.
Follow with conditioner. Rinse with a moisturising conditioner to soften hair and skin.
Pet dogs to help the spread of natural oil. When you stroke your dog, you remove trace amounts of natural oil. In effect, this stimulates further oil production along the follicle and shaft, which will help to lubricate the skin.
Wipe your dog's coat between baths. Prevent the dry skin caused by overbathing. Rub your dog with a damp washcloth to remove grime.
Put dogs on a diet that promotes healthy skin. Select a dog food that improves the condition of the coat and skin, specifically, one supplemented with essential fatty acids such as Omega-6.
Plug in a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Operate a humidifier in a room where your dog spends most of his time.
Tips and warnings
- Mix colloidal oatmeal into bath water as a home remedy for dry skin on dogs.
- Do not rely on home remedies for dogs with hot spots, or areas of broken skin that have become infected and slow to heal. The infection can spread to other parts of the animal, and possibly, to other household dogs.
- Avoid home remedies if you see hair loss, lesions and excessive licking of the skin; these may be signs of an underlying condition. Fleas, ringworm, yeast infections and reactions to food, medicine, grass and pollen can be mistaken for dry skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for