Neem oil, extracted from the seeds and leaves of the neem tree, has many beneficial uses for people, the home and the landscape. The oil contains insecticidal properties, many beneficial properties for people and pets and is a natural way to cure or control dandruff. Used for centuries in India, where the tree is native, people in the U.S. can find the products made from neem oil in health food stores and possibly in grocery or chemists. Neem shampoo is available, or it's easy to mix a few drops of the oil into ordinary shampoo for a healthier scalp or dilute it in carrier oils to moisturise and treat dandruff.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Neem oil
- Measuring spoons
- Clean stick or knife (optional)
- Carrier oil
- Small bowl
Obtain neem oil if you cannot find the shampoo locally. Place some of it in a bottle that has an eyedropper and keep it by your shampoo.
Place a few drops of the neem oil in your palm and add the amount of shampoo you typically need to wash your hair. Using your finger, mix it into the shampoo.
Apply the shampoo mixture to your hair and massage it into your scalp. Repeat if your hair is especially oily. If you have dry to normal hair, you may need just one application to clean your hair and treat your dandruff. Rinse your hair.
Individual Neem Oil Treatment
Measure 1/2 tsp of neem oil for each 236ml. of shampoo.
Remove the top of the shampoo bottle and pour the neem oil into the bottle.
Replace the cover on the shampoo bottle and gently shake to evenly distribute the neem oil. If the opening to the shampoo is large enough, you could insert a clean stick or knife to stir the mixture. Use the shampoo as you normally would.
Find an oil to mix with the neem oil. By itself, neem oil may be too strong for your scalp. Coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil are good carrier oils for neem oil. These oils also have beneficial properties to treat dandruff.
Measure the amount of oil you think you need to rub into your scalp, add several drops of neem oil and stir.
Use your fingers to massage the oil into your scalp and let it stay on your scalp for a minimum of 30 minutes or while you sleep. Shampoo your hair with neem shampoo or your regular shampoo.
Neem Treatment with Other Oils
Tips and warnings
- The amount of time it takes to cure dandruff with neem oil varies on an individual basis.
- Mixing neem oil with shampoos or carrier oils reduces its odour, which some people find offensive.
- It's a good idea to apply a small amount of neem oil to your arm to see if you have any allergic reactions to the neem oil before using it for the first time. If you develop any rash or redness, you may be sensitive to neem oil and should avoid using it to control dandruff.
- If you are taking any medications, check with your doctor before using neem oil.
- Do not use neem oil on children without consulting a doctor.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for