Having an earache can be a very painful experience for anyone, let alone a child. If your child has developed an earache, you can ease her pain without making a trip to the doctor.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hot water bottle
- Heating pad
- Blow dryer
- Olive oil
Give the recommended dosage of ibuprofen to the child once he has any indication of an earache. That should take away that dull pain for which earaches are so commonly known.
Apply heat to the ear that has the pain. Use a hot water bottle or a heating pad. Apply either to the ear that is hurting and let sit for at least 30 minutes. This allows the fluid that is trapped inside the ear to slowly drain and does relieve the pressure immensely.
Plug in your blow dryer, turn it on low and hold it 18 to 20 inches away from the sore ear. Move it back and forth gently, allowing the warm air to go inside the ear. The warmth will help to ease the pain in the aching ear.
Use olive oil. Take a few tablespoons of olive oil and warm it up to body temperature. Get your dropper out and drop three to four drops of the slightly warmed oil inside the ear. Have the child stay in one position for at least 15 minutes, no less. This should ease the pain tremendously.
Tips and warnings
- Contact your child's physician prior to using any home remedy.
- Never place olive oil in your toddler's ear if there is drainage or if you suspect the ear drum may be punctured or ruptured.
- If your child is complaining of a pain or if a fever accompanies the earache, contact your child's physician.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for