Trying to fertilise your lawn or till and plant a field or garden can be kind of complicated if you only know one way of measuring your land. Since some lawn supplies are sold by the acre and some by thousands of square feet, it's a good idea to know how to convert the number of square feet into acres. Just follow the steps below.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Calculate the square footage of the area. Square feet is a measurement of area, so the formula uses two numbers--the length and the width. Make sure both measurements are in feet and multiply: length (ft.) x width (ft.) = square feet
Convert from cubic feet to square feet if necessary. Divide the number of cubic feet by the depth (or height) of the area to get the square footage. Since the formula for cubic feet is length x width x depth/height, dividing by the third dimension will give you the area.
Remember the number 43,560. That is the number of square feet per acre.
Convert square feet to acres by dividing the number of square feet by 43,560. The formula looks like: length x width/43,560= acres.
Use a conversion website like Calculateme if you are not mathematically inclined (see Resources below). You can plug in the correct numbers and the site will do the conversion for you.
Tips and warnings
- You may need to know the area in "thousands of square feet," especially if you're buying fertiliser. Simply divide the square footage by 43.560 instead of 43,560.
- If you need to know the number of acres and your original measurement is in square meters, know that 1 square meter=10.76 square feet.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for