Ox tongue is a delicacy in American culture, however for some it is a culinary staple. Instead of paying a fortune for ox tongue at a four star restaurant, select and buy your own fresh ox tongue and cook it to culinary perfection right at home. Follow these easy steps to buy ox tongue and try your own gourmet dining experiment in the comfort of your personal dining room.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Find a recipe which calls for ox tongue. Ensure that the recipe meets your level of cooking expertise.
Look in your local phone book for specialty butcher shops. Call the shops and ask if they keep ox tongue in their regular inventory and the price per pound.
Ask the butcher how long the ox tongue has been in stock and where the tongue came from. Inquire whether the ox tongue has been soaked in cold water before hand or if you need to do that after you buy it.
Check the tongue for extraneous strings of fat or odd coloration. Keep your tongue in a well refrigerated place and tightly wrapped until use.
Check the recipe you have chosen for your ox tongue to ensure you have all the necessary ingredients. Cook your ox tongue according to the guidelines of the recipe.
Tips and warnings
- Remove the skin before making cold pressed ox tongue, which can be used in sandwich recipes.
- Running a sharp pairing knife around the edge of the tongue is the best way to free the meat from the skin casing.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for