Many substances and objects can leave behind unpleasant odours on fur, including cigarette smoke, moth balls and fried foods. Here's how to remove those nasty odours from your fur coat.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Place the fur coat in a vinyl clothes bag and hang it in a wardrobe or cupboard.
Add an open container or bag of fresh filter coffee to the bottom of the clothes bag.
Zip the clothes bag shut so the aroma of fresh coffee grounds permeates the fur coat.
Stir the coffee grounds once each day and check the smell of the fur coat. Remember to zip the clothes bag shut to seal it in with the coffee grounds. Repeat this process until the garment smells like coffee. It should take anywhere from a few days to a week.
Remove the coat from the garment bag when the fur smells like coffee and hang it outside in fresh, dry air for a few hours or until it smells fresh. Returning the coat to the wardrobe or put it in storage.
Repeat these steps if necessary to remove all the odour, using fresh coffee grounds each time.
Tips and warnings
- Treat damp fur by shaking off the water and letting the fur dry naturally to prevent a mildewy smell.
- Clean and condition a fur coat annually. Take it to a reputable furrier and have the fur cleaned and conditioned. The conditioning process replenishes the essential oils needed for the longevity of the fur coat.
- Store the fur coat properly during the wearing season to help prevent unpleasant odours from getting into the fur. Allow plenty of room in your wardrobe to hang the coat. Fur requires proper air circulation, so do not crowd the garment when hanging it.
- Place the fur coat in a storage locker during the off season where it will be humidity-controlled and away from heat and moths.
- Never store fur in a plastic bag.
- Never use heat to dry fur. If the fur coat gets soaked, take it to a specialist master furrier right away.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for