The paint inside an old microwave or one that gets used a lot may eventually begin to peel. Rather than replace the microwave, you might prefer to repaint the inside. However, slapping a coat of any old paint over the peeling paint will not work. The paint will peel again, quickly. Instead, you will need to carefully remove the peeling paint then paint the surface with a special type of microwave safe paint.
Get the inside of the microwave ready for repainting. Unplug the microwave. Use a sponge soaked in soapy water to remove dirt and grease. Use a dishtowel or a clean dry rag to wipe the inside dry.
Scrape off the peeling paint using a putty knife. With a fine-grit sandpaper, smooth any rough sections and remove any rust. Wipe and dry the sanded parts and spray them with a rust prevention spray.
Apply masking tape or painter’s tape to the areas that do not need to be painted. Place the microwave on a protective sheet in a well-ventilated area, ideally outside.
Confirm with the store that it is designed for applying to the inside of a microwave. Some paints contain toxic chemicals that may contaminate food being microwaved. Microwave cavity paint should be safe.
Evenly spray a coat of the paint onto the damaged area. Keep an 8-inch distance between the spray nozzle and the surface.
Keep the microwave door open. Allow at least three to four hours for the paint to dry before using your microwave again. Ideally leave the paint to dry overnight.
Apply the paint in a properly ventilated area, as the fumes can be toxic. Consider wearing rubber gloves, safety glasses and a mask for protection