The best place to plant a jasmine vine depends on which type you're planting. Common species, such as Jasminum officinale and Jasminum nudiflorum, have different growing requirements.
Other People Are Reading
Jasminum officinale, or common jasmine, produces small, white or pale pink flowers and a heavy fragrance. The Kemper Center for Home Gardening at the Missouri Botanical Garden recommends planting this type of jasmine in hardiness zones 7 to 10. The average winter low for these zones ranges from 0 to above 4.44 degrees C. The USDA lists Florida and Washington, D.C., as two of the most common areas for this type of jasmine. Jasminum nudiflorum, or winter jasmine, thrives in zones 6 through 10, where average low temperatures range from -10 to above 4.44 degrees C, such as Georgia, New Jersey and Maryland.
For common jasmine, choose a spot that's warm, with either full sun or partial shade since its flowers require light to bloom. Winter jasmine does best in areas with full access to the sun, but you can place it in partial or full shade. However, the Kemper Center for Home Gardening warns that the plant won't produce as many flowers if you do. The Kemper Center also suggests placing winter vines in a spot with good southern exposure during winter months.
Common jasmine is a hardy plant that does well in regular garden soil, according to The Kemper Center for Home Gardening. Soil should be moist, with a pH between 4.9 and 8.3. Winter jasmine grows best in areas with sandy loam that is moist and well-drained.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Kemper Center for Home Gardening: Jasminum Officinale
- Texas A&M University System Department of Horticultural Sciences: The New USDA Plant Hardiness Map
- USDA: Plants Profile--Jasminum Officinale L.
- Kemper Center for Home Gardening: Jasminum Nudiflorum
- USDA: Plants Profile--Jasminum Nudiflorum Lind.
- Purdue Guide to Medicinal and Aromatic Plants: Jasmine