A general surgeon performs a variety of operations to correct medical problems. This important work combined with the specialised skills and training required places general surgeons among the highest paid professions.
Other People Are Reading
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, the salary range for physicians employed in general surgery is between £185,017 and £249,166 annually. The income of general surgeons, like many occupations, generally increases with experience.
Surgeons that are employed by hospitals and other health care businesses generally receive an extensive benefits package. Benefits normally include health and dental insurance, paid vacation time and paid sick time. Many employers also pay for or provide the surgeon's malpractice insurance.
A general surgeon's income varies depending upon a number of factors including the licenses and certifications that he holds which allowing him to perform a range of procedures. Demand for surgeons varies depending on geographic location, meaning that some areas pay a higher salary than other areas.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Physicians and Surgeons
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2009, 29-1067 Surgeons
- Association of American Medical Colleges: Students, Careers in Medicine, General Surgery