Grants for military children

Updated July 19, 2017

Whether parents are enlisted in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, National Guard, Coast Guard or military reserves, if they're serving in the military or retired from military service, grants or scholarships are available for their children.

Air Force

Dependent children of active duty, retired or deceased members of the Air Force are eligible for need-based £975 grants awarded by Air Force Aid Society's General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program. The funds can be used toward books, fees or other curriculum-required materials for students enrolled in an undergraduate program at a college, university or trade school.

Navy and Marine Corps

Grants of £1,300 from the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society's Vice Admiral E.P. Travers Scholarship and Loan Program are available to dependent sons and daughters of active or retired Navy or Marine Corps personnel. The children must be enrolled full time in an undergraduate program at an accredited college or university.

Coast Guard

Coast Guard Mutual Assistance offers supplemental education grants of up to £162 annually toward non-tuition education expenses for family members of people serving in the Coast Guard, including kids, who are seeking a first undergraduate degree, GED or vocational certification. The money can be used to pay for textbooks, child care, transportation, parking, tests and exams and even study guides for some standardised tests, like the SAT.

National Guard or Military Reserves

Our Military Kids offers grants for active National Guard or Military Reservists deployed overseas or severely injured to pay for activities for children as young as 3 years old up to high school seniors. The grants can be used towards a long list of programs, such as summer camp, tutoring, youth sports and fine arts. Grants are not dependent and kids can receive up to two grants per deployment.

All Branches of Military Service

The Scholarships for Military Children Program makes scholarships available to unmarried children of active duty personnel, reserve or guard and retired military members, and survivors of service members who died while on active duty or while receiving military retirement. Applicants must be younger than 23, enrol in a full-time undergraduate degree program at an accredited college or university and have a 3.0 or higher grade point average.

Fallen or Severely Injured Service Members

In addition to grants awarded to children of injured service member through the Our Military Kids program, the Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund offers need-based college grants for children and families of servicemen and women severely injured or killed in the Afghanistan or Iraq wars. The organisation also awards financial assistance grants to families of fallen and injured soldiers that can be used for clothing, school supplies and other expenses.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

About the Author

Katherine Ritz Hahn is a writer from the Greater Philadelphia area. Since 1993, her articles have appeared in “The Southern Berks News,” “Parents Express” magazine and NEWS-Line Communications medical trade magazines. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in visual and apparel merchandising from Albright College.