What address do I send my tax return to?

Written by christine pingleton | 13/05/2017

The address to which you should mail your tax return depends on what form you're filing (1040A or 1040EZ, for example) and whether or not you're enclosing a payment. You can usually find the specific address you need by checking near the end of the main tax form's instruction booklet. This info is found on the last page of the 1040 instruction booklet for federal tax returns.

Are You Filing a Federal or State/Local Return?

Federal returns and state returns cannot be mailed to the same address. State and local returns, however, typically are mailed to the same state address for returns.

Are You Enclosing a Payment or Requesting a Refund?

Different addresses are typically given for those who are sending a payment with their tax return and those who are requesting a refund or have a zero balance. Usually, only the P.O. box number or the zip code differs between the two addresses.

What Mail Service Are You Using?

Some states have different addresses for returns being sent via the U.S. Postal Service and those being sent through a private delivery service, such as Federal Express.

Where Can I Find Addresses for Federal Returns?

The best way to find the proper addresses to send your federal tax returns is to consult the IRS's website or call (800) 829-1040.

Where Can I Find Addresses for State Returns?

You can locate your state's tax website by entering the name of your state followed by "department of revenue" in a web browser. For example, if you were looking for information on filing an Indiana return, you would enter "Indiana department of revenue." That should bring up the specific state's site with the address information.


By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.