The Best Way to Get Rid of Pink Mold

Mold is a worldwide problem. It grows in the humid corners of homes, in the dark places of seldom-opened areas and can pose potential health risks if not properly removed. Pink mould, while colourful, is just as potentially problematic as its brown and black cousins. Removing an outbreak is a snap if it is caught early. Removal can be accomplished with a few household items.

Prevent Mold Growth

Reduce humidity. Steam and running water make ideal breeding conditions for bacteria and mould. Controlling the level of humidity in a given area (usually the bathroom) is an important initial step to controlling an outbreak of any mould so that it may be removed. Turn the bathroom fan on--which is designed to pull moisture from the area-- or simply open the bathroom window to encourage drying.

Identify Pink Mold

Examine the growth. Mold is essentially a fungus that grows in damp, warm places. Some people are acutely sensitive to the presence of mould and will develop asthma, sneezing or upper respiratory infections. A large amount of mould will also alter the smell of a given area leaving a musty or sour odour in the air. Mold is tenacious and known for infesting deep into surfaces. If the outbreak is not caught early, the consequences could lead to entire rooms having to be torn down and resurfaced. Pink mould are usually species of Fusarium and not as dangerous to humans as some black and brown moulds but should still be dealt with as quickly.

Kill Existing Pink Mold

Pour white vinegar on a washcloth and aggressively scrub the area infected with mould. Rinse the area where vinegar was applied with cold water to remove as much of the infected area as possible. In a small bowl, mix hydrogen peroxide with 85.1gr. baking soda. Work the solution into a paste with a hard-bristled toothbrush. Use the toothbrush to scrub the peroxide and baking soda paste into the area that has been infected with pink mould, making sure to remove the entire remaining mould with this technique. Rinse the area with cold water and allow the tile or surface to dry completely over the course of 24 hours before subjecting the area to moisture again.

Most recent