Types of Rollers Used to Apply Wall Texture

texture image by laviniaparscuta from Fotolia.com

Wall textures are created using one of three main products. Paints that are thicker than regular paint are designed to created a textured finish to walls and ceilings. the 2 other products used most commonly are joint compound and plaster.

Both products have many purposes and you would need to follow the directions on the package for a consistency that is appropriate for texturing. The number of ways to apply a texture is virtually unlimited. Using rollers to apply texture is less time consuming than some of the other techniques.

Texture Rollers

Manual textured rollers are equipped with foam covers that have textured patterns etched in the surface. These are designed to place a pattern of texture into a freshly mudded wall or ceiling. Slightly thinned joint compound is spread onto the work surface with a drywall trowel. While the mud is still wet, roll a texture roller across the mud to transfer the pattern on the roller into the mud on the wall. When using rollers to apply texture, it is important not to roll over the same area more than once while it is still wet as this may remove the texture medium from the wall.

Short-Nap Roller

Apply a coat of joint compound or plaster according to the directions on the package. For a low even texture, roll a short-nap paint roller over the freshly applied joint compound or plaster. This technique will provide a short even texture that is consistent throughout all work surfaces. This technique is preferred by those who want only enough texture to cover flaws.

Large-Nap Roller

Large-nap rollers are used commonly to apply joint compound or plaster to large areas instead of a trowel. For some texturing techniques, a smooth layer of joint compound or plaster must be applies to the wall at 1/8 to 1/4 inches thick. A large nap roller makes this process quicker and leaves fewer lines than a trowel.