Underfloor Insulation Grants

Insulating house floors is done for one of two reasons: 1) the area under the floor is unconditioned space and the floor needs to be insulated to prevent heat loss, or 2) the living space below the floor that is being insulated needs sound deadening.

Floor insulation grants are available for floors that require thermal insulation, but not sound insulation.

Home Performance Program

The Home Performance Program is sponsored by Energy Star and is available in several states. This program requires that you hire a home performance consultant to have your home tested for energy efficiency. The testing includes insulation, appliances, HVAC equipment and air infiltration. The consultant gives you a report that outlines the insulation measures that will qualify for a rebate from the state. You perform the insulation work and receive a check for up to £975. This amount will vary based on the utility in your area. This program is not available in all states.

Low Income Grants

If you fall into the category of the lower middle class or below, you qualify for the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). This program will give you a grant that pays for 100 per cent of the insulation cost of your home. This is a popular program, so funding is usually out by the end of the year. You can apply for this program through your utility provider or your municipality. If your application is approved, you will schedule a time for the insulation contractor to come into your home and insulate it. If your floor is part of the building envelope, you will get the floor insulated for free.

Utility-Based Grants

If you are a small business, your utility company may give you a grant for completing insulation projects in your building, one of them being the floor. These programs are typically shared savings programs in which you continue to pay your normal electric and gas bill for a period of three to five years. The energy savings during this time goes back to the utility company. After this period, the energy cost savings are yours.

Not all states or utilities have these programs. Call your utility company to see if this or any other programs are available.