The Dangers of Sulfur Ointment
Doctors often prescribe sulphur cream, ointments, bar soaps and lotion to treat various types of skin orders, such as acne, rosacea, scabies and seborrheic dermatitis. The reason sulphur is used to treat skin conditions is because it is an antibacterial agent that stops the growth of bacteria on the skin.
Sulphur serves to make the infected skin dry up and slough off so it is a good treatment for acne if you can tolerate it. It unclogs pores that are blocked, reduces skin oiliness and prevents clogged pores from reoccurring in the future. However, some people are allergic to sulphur and will break out in hives after using it.
When using sulphur ointment your skin may become dry and red. This is typical. However, if the condition persists contact your doctor. If you use the sulphur ointment on broken or raw skin this may make the side effects---the dryness and redness---even worse.
If you are allergic to sulphur, you may break out in hives. Your throat, tongue and face can swell. You may experience itching, trouble breathing, dizziness, a sore throat, fever, bruising and bleeding, weakness and yellowing of your skin and eyes. If this happens, contact your doctor or pharmacist right away, advises MedicineNet.com.
Other side effects of using sulphur topically including peeling of the skin, according to the Mayo Clinic. If your skin is already irritated do not apply sulphur ointment to it because it will aggravate the condition. When applying sulphur ointment to areas of your body where the skin is infected or broken or burnt, this allows too much medication to be absorbed by your body and can lead to negative side effects. Some sulphur ointments and products can change the colour of your skin, resulting in discolouration. The ointment may also stink.
You do not know how you will react to sulphur ointment if you have never used it before. Err on the safe side and consult with your physician before using a product that contains sulphur.