How to sue someone for excessive mental abuse

Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images

Mental abuse is a serious condition that spawns from verbal and emotional harassment. Suing someone for excessive mental abuse is a consideration one should not enter into lightly. Mental abuse may occur in a domestic relationship or even in a professional care facility -- such as a nursing home. Be sure you document all possible experiences and episodes when abuse occurred to use as evidence of your claim. Hire a lawyer if you feel it necessary, although you can initiate a lawsuit yourself by visiting your county court.

Record all occurrences of abuse. Write down dates, times and locations where and when abuse occurred. List all persons involved and summarise with as many details as possible what happened and what was said. Make notations on the frequency of occurrences, how long abuse has taken place, when the abuse escalated and if authorities -- medical or police, for instance -- were ever involved.

Visit the office of the clerk for your circuit county court. Go to the clerk for the circuit court if yours is a domestic violence issue or, for example, if abuse occurs in a professional care or public health environment. Circuit courts handle both domestic and criminal case issues.

Present the clerk with at least two current forms of identification -- a driver's license and social security card, for example. Inform the clerk of your intention to file a domestic or a criminal violence lawsuit, depending on if the matter is a civil or criminal issue. Explain your situation to the clerk, if necessary, and ask for the appropriate form.

Complete the form in its entirety and sign it. Include details of the abuse and mention any hard evidence -- medical documentation, counselling bills or police reports, for example -- and witness testimony that corroborates your claim.

Make at least three copies of all forms and documentation. Return two sets of copies to the clerk -- one set for court records and one to include for the defendant. Keep the third set for your own personal records. Be prepared to pay any filing fees, typically beginning at costs ranging from £6 to £19, as of the time of publication.

Most recent