We Value Your Privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web. You can change your mind and change your consent choices at anytime by returning to this site.

Update Consent
Loading ...

How to Make Speech Bubbles With MS Paint

Updated February 21, 2017

In comics, cartoons and other 2D drawings, characters come to life through speaking, but since they can't actually be heard, their words usually take up residence in speech bubbles, small balloon-like shapes appearing near their heads. Speech bubbles can give anything from a photograph to a line drawing a livelier look. Use Microsoft Paint, the Windows operating system's included graphics program, to make your own speech bubbles and get talking.

Loading ...
  1. Open Paint. To add speech bubbles to an existing image, click the "Paint" button in the top-left corner of the screen. Click "Open," browse to the image and double-click it.

  2. Click one of the coloured squares in the "Colors" section of the ribbon to serve as the outline colour for the speech bubble or leave black as the default.

  3. Click one of the speech bubble options in the "Shapes" section of the ribbon. The speech bubbles are in the third row.

  4. Position the cursor on the picture or work area, click and hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor to form the speech bubble. Release the mouse.

  5. Click the "Text" tool, which looks like an "A" on the ribbon. Click inside the speech bubble. Choose a font and text size. Type the speech bubble words.

  6. Click the "Paint" button. Click "Save As," type a name for the new version of the image and click "Save."

Loading ...

About the Author

Fionia LeChat is a technical writer whose major skill sets include the MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher), Photoshop, Paint, desktop publishing, design and graphics. LeChat has a Master of Science in technical writing, a Master of Arts in public relations and communications and a Bachelor of Arts in writing/English.

Loading ...