How to remove bird poop from concrete
Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images
Bird poop, or bird droppings, is a type of organic stain. When birds poop on your concrete surface, they leave behind a stain that contains their faeces as well as their food. Berries, nuts and seeds contribute toward the stain as it soaks into the porous concrete surface.
By removing the stain from the surface and drawing it out of the concrete, you can successfully clean your concrete and return it to its unstained condition. Supplies and cleaning techniques safe for concrete achieve this task without causing further damage to the surface.
Hose off the concrete to remove bird droppings from the surface.
Squirt liquid dish-washing detergent on the site of the bird poop stain to cover it. Use a natural-bristled scrub brush to work the detergent into the concrete and loosen and remove remaining stain.
- Bird poop, or bird droppings, is a type of organic stain.
- Use a natural-bristled scrub brush to work the detergent into the concrete and loosen and remove remaining stain.
Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images
Cover the soapy stain with sawdust and allow it to absorb the soap and water. This is a more environmentally friendly way to remove the soap, instead of rinsing it into the grass. Allow the sawdust to absorb the soap and water for 20 minutes, and then sweep up with a broom and dust pan.
- Cover the soapy stain with sawdust and allow it to absorb the soap and water.
- Allow the sawdust to absorb the soap and water for 20 minutes, and then sweep up with a broom and dust pan.
Treat remaining stains and discolouration left by food in the bird droppings, such as berries, with a mixture made of 1 tbsp 12-percent hydrogen peroxide and three drops of ammonia.
Pour the peroxide and ammonia solution over the remaining stain. Scrub the concrete with the scrub brush and allow the solution to sit for a few minutes. Absorb the ammonia and peroxide with sawdust. Sweep up the sawdust after it dries completely.
- Substitute powdered dishwasher detergent for dish soap when cleansing stained concrete.
- Rinse off bird poop while it's still fresh for the easiest stain removal.
- Natural-bristled scrub brushes are best for concrete as shavings from metal scrub brushes can cause rust stains.
- Wear rubber gloves during the cleaning process to protect yourself from germs and bacterias in bird droppings, as well as to protect yourself from the hydrogen peroxide.
Mary Ylisela is a former teacher with a Bachelor of Arts in elementary education and mathematics. She has been a writer since 1996, specializing in business, fitness and education. Prior to teaching, Ylisela worked as a certified fitness instructor and a small-business owner.