How to cure a smelly toilet
An offensive odour emanating from your toilet can make your bathroom an unpleasant place to be. Toilet smells also often waft to other parts of the home as well. You don't have to use harsh, expensive chemicals to get rid of toilet smells.
You can use gentle, inexpensive household cleaners that will clean and deodorise your toilet effectively. This will make your toilet a better smelling and more sanitary part of the home.
Moisten a cloth with undiluted white vinegar and use it to wipe down the tank, seat and pedestal of the toilet.
Pour 3 cups of white vinegar into the bowl of your toilet and allow it to sit for 1 hour.
- An offensive odour emanating from your toilet can make your bathroom an unpleasant place to be.
- You can use gentle, inexpensive household cleaners that will clean and deodorise your toilet effectively.
Sprinkle baking soda on the inside walls of your toilet's bowl.
Scrub the bowl of the toilet with a toilet brush.
Add 1 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup baking soda every few days to your toilet and let it sit overnight to deodorise the area and kill any mould or mildew.
- Mrs. Clean: How to Clean The Bathroom
- "How the Queen Cleans Everything"; Linda Cobb; 2002
- Maryland Cooperative Extension: Alternative for Household Products- Helpful Hazardous Waste Reduction Tips
Charlotte Johnson is a musician, teacher and writer with a master's degree in education. She has contributed to a variety of websites, specializing in health, education, the arts, home and garden, animals and parenting.