Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham Cooking Instructions
Ham slice on plate image by Marek Kosmal from Fotolia.com
The Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham is one of a line of ham products produced in Smithfield, Virginia, for nearly two and a half centuries. Created as part of a Colonial tradition based on quality curing, the spiral-sliced ham is sold precooked ready to serve hot or cold.
Prepare the meat glazed or unglazed, for a special occasion or as a hearty family meal.
Preheat oven to 162 degrees C.
Remove the top oven rack. The Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham is often tall enough to require two-thirds of the oven space. Only the bottom rack is necessary.
- The Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham is one of a line of ham products produced in Smithfield, Virginia, for nearly two and a half centuries.
- The Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham is often tall enough to require two-thirds of the oven space.
Line the roasting pan with aluminium foil. Cut a single piece of foil that extends 6 to 8 inches past the length of the pan on both ends. Cut an additional two pieces that extend 6 to 8 inches past the width of the pan on both sides. Place the long piece in the pan first. Place the short pieces in the pan width-wise to cover the bottom of the pan a second time. Some overlap of the short pieces may be necessary. When finished, the pan will be double lined at the bottom with a 6- to 8-inch overhang on all four sides.
- Line the roasting pan with aluminium foil.
- Place the short pieces in the pan width-wise to cover the bottom of the pan a second time.
Place the Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham in the roasting pan. Wrap the meat tightly in the foil.
Bake the ham for 10 to 12 minutes per pound, or until internal temperature reaches 60 degrees C, when a meat thermometer is inserted halfway into the ham.
Prepare glaze. Boil 4 cups of water in medium sauce pan. When water is hot, place the Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham glaze, in its package, in the boiling water for five minutes.
Remove glaze packet from boiling water with tongs. Cut open the package carefully and transfer its contents to a small bowl.
- Place the Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham in the roasting pan.
Remove ham from oven 15 minutes before the end of it's cooking time. Unwrap meat and remove foil
Spoon glaze evenly over the surface of the ham.
Bake uncovered for final 15 minutes.
- For unglazed ham, complete cooking time without interruption.
- The Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham glaze packet will be very hot when removed from boiling water. Handle the packet carefully using the sealed ends for safety.
Smokey Yokems has been teaching through writing and performance since 1982. Yokems' strength is translation. Her publications include work-for-hire children's stories, corporate video scripts and a tri-annual newsletter for a nonprofit educational foundation in Maine. Yokems holds a Bachelor of Arts in creative writing and performance from Oberlin College/Lesley University.