How to Use a Wobble Cushion
Similar to a wobble board used to stand on and strengthen your legs, a wobble cushion is an inflatable disk you can sit on. The cushion shifts under your weight, forcing you to constantly adjust your position to stay balanced. This active sitting helps strengthen the back and neck muscles and improve core stability.
Knowing the proper way to utilise a wobble cushion helps ensure the results you are looking to achieve.
Inflate your wobble cushion according to the manufacturer's instructions. For most wobble cushions, insert the end of a hand pump and pump the cushion up until firm. Remove the pump and insert the valve closure to seal it off.
- Similar to a wobble board used to stand on and strengthen your legs, a wobble cushion is an inflatable disk you can sit on.
- Inflate your wobble cushion according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Place the wobble cushion on a chair. Choose a chair without arms to prevent you from using the arms as support. The goal is to work on strengthening and chair arms act as a crutch, preventing the strengthening.
Sit on the wobble cushion and place your feet flat on the floor. Bring your feet together. Allow your knees to fall to the side. Adjust your balance as the centre of gravity shifts while sitting on the cushion.
- Place the wobble cushion on a chair.
- Sit on the wobble cushion and place your feet flat on the floor.
Move the wobble cushion to the floor and place your feet on it. Slowly rotate the cushion clockwise 20 times with your feet. Reverse direction and slowly rotate 20 times counterclockwise. This will help your leg muscles.
- Most wobble cushions also can be used as wobble boards to work on back and leg strengthening as well as balance. Before standing on your wobble cushion, check the manufacturer's instructions as well as the weight limit.
- Try to keep your balance when standing or kneeling. Work on 10 second counts while standing on the cushion. While kneeling, start with 10 seconds and work your way up. Switch to standing if this becomes very easy for you.
- Do not sit on the balance cushion all day long. Use it for only 30 minutes at a time, 3 to 4 times a day to give your muscles a chance to relax.